Home Maintenance Tips
Home Maintenance Tips for Greater St. Louis
Your home is one of your largest investments. The best way to keep it running smoothly and efficiently is through regular maintenance. Below are some basic home maintenance tips. If you were able to attend your home inspection, you will have heard many of these already. This is not an inclusive list of all home maintenance items.
If you have any questions concerning the operation or maintenance of your home, please call us at (636) 931-7888. We will be happy to help you in any way possible.
When the house is now your home
- Change all locks on exterior entrances for improved security.
- Replace batteries in all smoke detectors. Put a note on your calendar to replace them in one year.
- Create a fire escape plan for your new home. Consult your local fire department for advice on what to do in case of a fire.
- Review your home inspection report for any items requiring immediate attention.
- Learn the location of main shut-offs for your plumbing, electrical and heating systems.
- Check your fire extinguishers to be sure they are fully charged.
- Repair or replace leaking faucets or shower heads.
- Check grout and caulk in bathrooms. Ensure water is not escaping during showering.
- Check below all plumbing fixtures for leakage.
- Re-secure loose toilets and repair or replace faulty flush mechanisms.
- Replace or clean heating and cooling air filters.
- Clean all gutters and downspouts.
- Check that downspouts are secure and the discharge is appropriate.
- Test all GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) devices.
Spring and Fall
- Replace smoke detector batteries.
- Examine your roof for damage to the roof coverings, chimney and flashings.
- If possible, look in the attic. Check for evidence of leakage, condensations or critters.
- Check your landscaping around structures. Trim back tree branches and shrubs to be sure they are not contacting any structures.
- Inspect the exterior walls and foundation of the house for damage, cracking or movement. Look for bird nests, insect and critter activity.
- Clean and test windows to be sure they are operating correctly. Add caulking and weather-stripping if needed. Inspect for evidence of rot in any wood. Paint and repair the window sills and frames as needed.
- Test the garage door opener. Be sure the auto-reverse mechanism is responding properly. Clean and lubricate rollers, tracks, and hinges on the overhead doors.
- Clean and inspect all appliances as suggested by the manufacturer.
- Clean and service the heating, cooling and water heater systems.
- Inspect and clean the chimney. Be sure the rain caps and vermin screens are secure.
Castle Home Inspections Provides a Variety of Warranties
Learn more about your FREE Warranty Coverage & 18-Month Warranty
Other Home Inspection Services
Serving Greater St Louis
Read our 5-star Google Reviews